Akshaya Tritiya or Akha Teej is an important Hindu feast. It is observed during Shukla Paksha Tritiya in the month of Baishaakha. The festival has special significance for Rajasthanis, Gujaratis, Chattisgarhis and Jains. Akshaya means “never ending or eternal.” The feast is based on the basic principle that “if you donate with a clean heart the universe returns the favour manifold.”
This is the day when Hindus and Jains lay great emphasis on Japa, Yajna, Pitra-Tarpan, and Dan-Punya. Of course a lot of people buy gold on this day. But the actual prayer lies in donating and meditation.
On this day people worship Lord Vishnu, Goddess Laxmi, Goddess Annapurna, Lord Krishna and Kuber. Those who live close to the sacred River Ganges try to go for Ganga Snan. A lot of people go out of the way to take a dip in the holy Ganges. Those who cannot do that must wake up before sunrise and fill a bucket with tap water and add a few drops of Ganga jal. Bathing with this water is supposed to cleanse the body and soul. Post which one must indulge in meditation, prayer, good deeds and make donations.
Significance of Akshaya Tritiya
According to popular legend it is on this day that Goddess Ganaga descended on Earth in the form of a mighty river;
- Lord Krishna met Sudama on this day;
- On this Lord Ganesha started dictating the great epic Mahabharata to Rishi Vyasa;
- Lord Kuber, the heavenly treasurer was blessed with wealth on this day by Lord Shiva. And on this very day Goddess Laxmi was made the goddess of wealth;
- The great sage Parasurama was born on this day;
- Maa Annapurna fed Lord Shiva on this day, he approached her as a beggar and she fed him with love; and
- It is on this day that the eldest Panadava Yudhishtira was blessed with the ‘Akshaya Bowl’.
Things you can do to make your day special:
- Try to give charity. That way you will be able to conquer the pain of death.
- Do something to help the poor. They say that way you will be blessed in your next birth.
- Donating clothes to the poor helps your family get well and avoid diseases.
- Donating fruits on this day makes your departed ancestors happy.
- You must donate grains and buttermilk on this day.
- Distributing curd rice on this day helps you combat negative deeds.